Electrical Controls & Instrumentation
24 September 2022
Industry: Mining & Quarrying
Job category: Mining
Location: Congo, Republic Of The
EE position: Yes
PURPOSE OF THE JOB : To supervise and assist in the installation and maintenance of instruments and to manage control, instrumentation and communication systems.
Supervision And Management
- Co-ordinates the day to day tasks of subordinates by allocating work and deploying available resources
- Identifies subordinates training requirements and arranges for on-the-job training and formal training courses when required
- Briefs subordinates on any special instructions issued by an Inspector of Machinery or by management
- Maintains a leave roster for all subordinates to ensure that there are no disruptions to production
- Interviews, appoints and supervises Process Control Operators and other personnel operating control CIC systems
- Manages the planned maintenance of all machinery and equipment in the specified area of responsibility by ensuring that sufficient spares are available and ordered for this purpose.
- Executes planned maintenance schedules by the effective deployment of men, material and machinery.
- Assists in and performs scheduled inspections and examinations of plant and equipment in the specified area of responsibility as laid down by law and company policies and procedures.
- Schedules repairs and maintenance in conjunction with other departments i.e. Metallurgical Department, and assists Technicians in their work when necessary.
- Inspects visually and by testing all repairs and maintenance carried out to ensure that work has been performed according to engineering standards.
- Decides on job priority, methods of carrying out work and equipment requirements in order to meet safety and production standards.
- Decides whether equipment must be scrapped or repaired by investigating repair costs, equipment history and average life of equipment.
- Checks and signs orders for equipment to be repaired by workshops or outside firms.
- Monitors existing systems and modifies/re-designs/improves according to faults and inadequacies found in the system, as well as to increase automation
- Ensures and assists that sufficient documentation is maintained and updated for all Control Instrumentation, Environmental, Seismic and Communications systems under is control.
- Configures and manages the networks required for Data / Voice/ Video systems on the Bus Unit, Control Instrumentation, Environmental, Seismic and Communication systems under his control.
- Identifies opportunities for improved design, and applies expertise to all design work by designing safety devices, operation of equipment
- Prepares the annual working cost budget for his section and submits to Line Mngr/ the Section Engineer for approval.
- Compiles various reports from source documents and submits to his supervisor
- Ensures that the budget is not exceeded by controlling labour and overtime costs, as well as stores costs.
- Plans the maintenance and preliminary fault analysis by compiling history cards for all CIC equipment from job cards.
- Administers and ensures that proper systems are in place to control software /documentation changes
- Attends planning and other meetings as directed by the Line Mngr./ Sect Engineer
- Advises supervisors and subordinates on various technical and other matters such as testing of new equipment and feasibility of modifications.
- Performs stand-by and week-end duties in case of breakdowns and/or maintenance as required.
- Programming and configuring of CIC systems
- Ensures and assists where necessary, that structured software programming is done with all CIC software systems
Health and Safety
- Carries the responsibility for the execution of his/her job in a safe manner
- Motivates other employees to conduct themselves in a safe manner
- Investigates and reports any incidents or accidents in the prescribed manner and takes the necessary steps to prevent recurrence.
- Is accountable for all good housekeeping and loss control in the specified area of responsibility
- 3 year degree/3 year diploma - General Degree - NQF 6 – Instrumentation/Electrical
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Ability to work accurately under pressure and to meet strict deadlines as determined by the manager